Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. Psalm 37:7
How many times have we seen people who seem to get what they want by doing it in the wrong way? When have you seen someone who will do and say anything to get what they strive for, while at the same time you try to move forward but in the right way and it doesn’t seem to work for you? Do you feel like someone has told you to go sit in a corner as you watch those who are undeserving continue to progress while you remain in a static state, not going backwards per se, but definitely not going forward? In the fifteen verses of Psalm 37, David offers some suggestions on what to do during this time:
- verse 1: don’t be irritated or envious of the unrighteous
- (verse 2) here’s why: for they will soon be cut off, clipped
- verse 3: instead trust in the Lord, and while you’re trusting, do good, and you will be fed in the process
- verse 4: while you’re trusting and doing good, delight (or be happy) in the Lord; when you do you’ll be rewarded by receiving your heart’s desires.
- verse 5: so commit what you do (and how you do it) to the Lord, trust in him (I guess we have to be reminded of that verb again), and he will bring the “it” you’ve been asking for to pass.
- verse 6: God will acknowledge your uprightness and how you live.
- verse 7: So rest in God, wait patiently, don’t be irritated by those who prosper through wicked devices. And verse 8 adds not to be angry nor do something to get the evil one; the rest of the this psalm describes what God will do and how he will handle them.
What can we do that will help us while waiting on God? Here are some suggestions:
- Know what God’s Word says about waiting – find verses on wait and what those of the bible did when they waited for something to happen
- Pray without ceasing; review I Thessalonians 5 that includes this command.
- And here’s another verse to consider as you are waiting: Psalm 52:9 that includes some commands:
- Praise God forever, because he has done it. We have to believe that it is already done…
God yet abides faithful, for faithful is he that calleth you , who also will do it. I Thessalonians 5:24
Be strengthenized while patiently waiting…